Every year we all run around looking for that perfect gift but why not look in the kitchen, home baked treats can sometimes be the best gift. A cake requires love and care for it to become perfect, and that's what home baked gifts represent, that you care and love.
So today I am sharing with you my recipe for a Strawberry Daquiri Cake, this recipe can be used to make one medium sized cake or 12 cupcakes.
For the cake:
- 100ml of Malibu (or any white rum of your choice, I prefer Malibu)
- 170g of golden castor sugar
- 150g of chopped Fresh strawberries
- 40g of unsalted butter
- 120g of plain flower
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 120ml Milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla flavouring
- 80g of unsalted butter
- 250g of Icing sugar
- 4 tsp of Milk
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 3/170c (if fan oven 150c) and prep cake/muffin tin
- Place Rum and 30g of your castor sugar into a small pan, bring to a boil until the liquid has reduced by half. Remove from heat to cool down and then add the strawberries to soak.
- While the strawberries are soaking mix the butter, flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl, mix slowly until the mix looks like breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg, milk and vanilla, once mixed gradually add to your flour mix.
- Drain the strawberries from the rum, be sure to drain the rum into a jug or bowl and out to one side. Mix the strawberries into the batter.
- place batter into cake/muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes (if cupcakes, if your are making one cake you may want to add another 5-10 minutes)
- whilst cake(s) are baking make the buttercream using an electric mixer gradually adding the rum syrup you placed aside earlier.
- once cakes have baked and cooled down decorate as you wish!
side tip: instead of milk you can also use the rum syrup in the cake mixture!